Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One Year Ago Today ...

... our lives were changed forever. It is surreal to think that a year has passed since we got on a plane to China and traveled half way around the world to meet our daughter. I remember that day and exact moment like it was yesterday. We awoke with such anticipation, had breakfast, boarded a bus, and drove to that little building where our daughter waited for us. She had come on a long bus ride herself from her orphanage, a few hours away. I will never forget when we walked into that hot Civil Affairs office and saw our daughter's face. I was the first person off the bus and the first to get off the elevator upstairs where the babies waited for us. I saw her the moment I walked into the room. She was so small, so distant and so alone as she sat on a nanny's lap. She held a little rattle. I knew her face as soon as I saw it and after a few seconds and without asking for permission, I walked over to her and for the first time we made eye contact. I touched her little hand. She was so tiny. So perfect. It is a moment I'll never forget and was one of the most special days of my life.




I am so thankful that God chose us to be Lia's parents and we are all so blessed by this little girl. Those scared and distant eyes have become much more confident and secure over the past year. That day was happy for us but I will never know how this brave little person felt leaving the only home she had ever known and being placed in the arms of two people who looked, smelled and sounded different from all that she knew. What emotions there were from all of us! But God's arms were around us all and once again, He created a family and somehow we knew it would all be alright. Lia has blossomed into a joyful little girl who loves to giggle and dance. She is full of life and loves her family. And we love her. More than we ever thought imaginable.

What a day that was and as I remember I am overwhelmed. And grateful. And full of joy and thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe a year has passed! Would love to see you soon. Maybe when the weather gets a bit cooler we can meet at a park,Jody

    ReplyDelete