Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 11 - Medical exam and shopping

Here are some pics from today's medical exam. (See previous post for details).
Afterwards we headed to the market in Guangzhou. It was nuts. Floors and floors of pearls, jade, and various other goods. Every shop looked the same and it was all quite overwhelming. Other than a few kid movies, we didn't get anything. It was just too much to process. My brian needs simplicity these days and couldn't grasp all that there was to sift through. So. Much. Stuff! This was one of those times that Chris was glad I'm not much of a shopper for sure.
We also had lunch at McDonalds. Yes, McDonald's. I actually had a Big Mac and a vanilla shake and Lia had french fries along with her fruit. That was started by XiXi, our guide (and "auntie" to all the girls). I just went with it. Nice I know but we were starving and our other choices actually ranked under McDonald's. I haven't had a Big Mac in so many years I really can't remember how long it's been. It was ok but I don't think my stomach has recovered yet. We do have a picture of Lia in a high chair there and she definitely enjoyed the french fries. I told her not to get used to them! :)
Even after McDonald's' Chris actually indulged in "squid on a stick" from a vendor at the outdoor food court area. All of the guys ate it I guess. Our motto for the week - "When in Rome ...."
Speaking of food, I do have to say that tonight we had a great dinner at a Thai restaurant - Cow and Bridge. It is one of the only restaurants here on Shamien Island that has an English menu so it is apparently a favorite for visiting Americans. It was really very good. We also celebrated one of the girls' birthdays. She turned one today and it was such an honor to be with her and her new parents to as they celebrated. We all sang happy birthday and ate birthday cake with her. Elizabeth is such a cutie and is the smallest of the bunch, weighing in at just over 13 lbs.
 At dinner we also enjoyed a seasonal fruit called Mountain Bamboo. It was very tasty. I don''t know the story behind it but I do know I have never seen it before tonight. And it was very good. Lia enjoyed it too. We've also been able to try Dragon Fruit. It is only available for 3 days per year (at least I think that's what we were told). It's very good and reminded us of a muscatine grape but is bigger and has a slightly different taste. You can't get that in the US either.
 
We had another good day with Lia. She enjoys being out and about and also loves time in the room with us. She is becoming more and more interactive with us and it is getting easier and easier to put a smile on that cute little face. She is definitely feisty when she wants to be and has a happy demeanor overall.
 
We feel so blessed!

Only 3 more full days in China and then we travel. It really seems like we've been here forever. It has only been one full week since we met Lia and the differences we see in her are astounding. She is getting stronger, her skin is nearly clear, she can drink out of her sippy cup like a pro, she can take her bottle now the way a 10 month old should, and she has become a very quick crawler. We really feel like she is trusting us more and more every day. I know we have a long way to go but progress is progress. She is very loving, enjoys getting hugs and kisses, and she is very ticklish - all just like her brother. :) It seems like she's always been with us in so many ways.
 
Enjoy the pictures. I'll get as many up as I can as long as our connection holds out. Things also may be posting out of order but you'll get the idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment